Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Rosetta Stone tells it like it is

Before we left for Chile, I borrowed a copy of Rosetta Stone and attempted to learn at least a little more basic Spanish. For those who have never used the program, it uses audio, written text, photos, and lots of repetition and context to teach you stuff. It's pretty effective. I certainly wasn't fluent by the middle of Level 2 (how far I've gotten), but I learned stuff that I used, especially in the first few weeks.

In this lesson about shopping, Rosetta gives us a glimpse into the life of a woman who wants jewelry.

Que linda...lo quiero...

With such desperate longing in her face, I can only assume there is more to this woman's story than simply admiring a shiny bauble that caught her eye. If I continue with Rosetta, I hope to learn more of her lonely, tragic life.

It would be easy to roll my eyes at this stereotypical view of women and our sparkly best friends, but look at how easily Kat recreated the scene, without even seeing it herself. A little too easily, ya know?

Que linda...lo quiero...

Okay, Rosetta Stone, you were right. La mujer quiere joyas.

No comments:

Post a Comment