Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Chile loves Antarctica

At least in the far south they do. Granted, they are closer to Antarctica than any other country, edging out Argentina by a nose, but Chile seems to truly put stock in its territory down there. Maybe this is what happens when your super-skinny country has an extreme north-south orientation; your eyes are drawn downward on the map.

 
In case you forgot, Chile claims part of Antarctica.

It's officially included in Region XII, and therefore in all the government agencies.

Ministry of Education for the Magellanic Region...and Antarctica. Note the anti-bullying campaign in progress.
And I thought penguins seemed so nice!

Is the government hoping for increased tourism? Pioneer settlements? Venture capitalist investment in fresh water glacier harvesting? I dunno. But I'm curious if any other countries with Antarctic claims also include that territory in their postal structure.


I wanted to ask how many stamps I need to mail a postcard to Chilean Antarctica, but my Spanish was not up to the challenge. Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment