Thursday, May 8, 2014

Levitating shoes

Learning a language is not about studying.

Okay, yes it is– partly. But for me, on this trip, studying is only one shoe. Listening is one shoe. Talking with my tutor or my housemates is one shoe. Watching Game of Thrones with subtitles, also one shoe (gracias, HBO Chile). I have lost track of how many times I have heard or read something I didn't understand, only to come across it days later in another context and suddenly: Ohhhhh!  The other shoe drops.

Living and working in a Spanish-speaking country, I feel sort of like it's raining shoes all the time, but most of them don't match. Only by sheer volume of words surrounding me and the variety of ways they get to me do I manage to unite a handful of pairs each day. On the other side of that analogy is a whole warehouse in my brain full of unmatched shoes, which is frustrating. I know I'm learning, and learning a lot faster than I would at home, but my goodness. So many floating shoes. I hope they find their way down soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment